Thursday, June 23, 2011

Odd Disney World: Disney Remixed

I am starting a series of posts about strange Disney miscellanea, Odd Disney World, with these amazing videos. I saw them a while back and had forgotten all about them until this morning when I was on the couch with Tom before work and the music from this video broke through the morning news.


This is my favorite album artwork for Alice in Wonderland.
I love the art nouveau style and the crazy colors. One just
 like is currently hanging on my wall. Are you surprised?
No. You are not high. I promise. The sound is pretty unmistakable. I muted the news and became mesmerized all over again. I think this video does a pretty spectacular job of taking the inherent trippiness of Disney's version of the story and putting a fresh spin on it. Tom and I are huge Alice in Wonderland fans. Tom is an Alice stickler, especially. He feels that the Disney version is actually the one that does the original Lewis Carroll book the most justice. He is fiercely protective of the reputation of the film, which I think is finally emerging from the shadow of a decades long and undeserved bad rep. With it's quirky storytelling, gorgeous animation, incredible Mary Blair styling, and wonderfully strange yet pitch perfect music, I think Alice in Wonderland is a landmark in the Disney classic canon. If you haven't gotten the recent Blu-ray release, do it ASAP. They finally gave the film a release that does the art justice and has a slate of fantastic bonus features that really take full advantage of what Blu-ray can do.

This musician takes a very basic underlying beat and a few chords and layers them with sounds and vocals that he culls from movies. What is so surprising is that when he does it with other films, ones that seem less drug induced by nature, it works just as well. On his Youtube channel there are ones for several other Disney and Pixar films, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Harry Potter and H.R. Pufnstuf, among others. The music he creates is haunting and familiar, a little scary, but beautiful and very enjoyable. I love that you can tell this guy is a big ole Disney geek as well as super-talented. I am a full-on fan.

Take a few minutes to check out one or all of these little masterpieces. It will be well worth it, I promise. Which one was your favorite? Do you love them or are you a little bit creeped out? Maybe both? I would love to hear your thoughts!

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs


Mary Poppins



Several films including The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Peter Pan, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty



Up



The Sword in the Stone


Toy Story




No comments:

Post a Comment